Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Learning Experience

Brooklyn running at the playground Over the last 13 years I have learned many things but over the last two years I have learned more about being a dad than ever. While I was in the military I didn't get much time with my oldest daughter. She grew up seeing me every once in a while when I came home and our relationship was not that close. I guess that is the price you pay for being in the military. Now that my daughter, Brooklyn, has turned two, I look back on the last two years and see how much I have learned. From the early mornings, to putting her to bed, I have built a relationship with her that is much different than any other family member. 

Every morning we get up and hang out before I go to work or all morning on the weekends. During the weekends we color, play blocks, eat breakfast, watch a couple of cartoons, and the list goes on. I have made it two years without her getting hurt or burning the house down so I am happy.

What I am really trying to say is there is a difference in the way I grew up versus how I am raising Brooklyn. When I grew up I rarely saw my Dad because he was out working, hunting, or fishing. When I was older I went with him some but most of the time I was with my Mom. I have changed that with Brooklyn by taking her with me if I go into town for a while, or just by hanging out on the couch. I don't really remember actually "playing" with my Dad. I understand now that he ws providing for our family, but still I wonder if things would be different if he would have been around me more. 

There are many men out there that have changed the role of the head of the household to spending more time with their children. They play with their kids inside and outside and the days of the man working in the fields or hunting and fishing for food are over. I do still enjoy to go outdoors and hunt and fish for some alone time, but not to the extent of the "old" days. 

There is not really a reason for this post today. It was just something on my mind on how life has changed in the last 30 years. 

One of the biggest changes in my life was the birth of our daughter Eden. She had a fatal birth defect called anencephaly, and she blessed us with 5 hours and 27 minutes of her life. Eden's life gave me more motivation to spend as much time with family as I can. I do not blame anyone or anything for her passing away and I feel honored to be her father. 

I believe I am going to change website up a bit and post more experiences from all dads around the world. 

1 comment:

  1. Being a Father is the act of creating children. Being a Dad is the act of loving them! There sometimes is a fine line between the two. Always ALWAYS let your children know how much they mean to you through thick and thin and how much you LOVE them. Just a little lesson not taught, but learned from my DAD!
    John Bourdeau

    ReplyDelete